Friday, July 22, 2011

The Trials of a Trials Bike Ride

[googlemaps http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Pasir+Ris+Street+11&daddr=Ang+Mo+Kio&geocode=FV_ZFAAdyz8yBg%3BFVLuFAAd2ZYwBilhJsgKxBbaMTFQpdqurPcABQ&hl=en&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=1.366949,103.957304&sspn=0.008248,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=1.37422,103.90195&spn=0.0157,0.10986&output=embed&w=425&h=350]

What is a Bike Trials?

"Mountain bike trials, also known as observed trials, is a discipline of mountain biking in which the rider attempts to pass through an obstacle course without setting foot to ground." -wikipedia

What about a Trials Bike?

"Trials bikes are often designed without regard for attaching a seat. Competition riding does not require the rider to sit down and the omission allows for a lighter bike which interferes less with the body movements of the rider." -wikipedia



Ok, so the story goes that ever since I was in secondary school... Some 10 years ago, I loved the idea of riding Trials. But never had the money to buy a proper Trials Bike. When I was trolling Togoparts.com/marketplace for a mountain bike (Another story), I saw a Trials Bike for sale @ $250

I jumped at the chance and contacted the Seller to view, next thing I know I now own the bike and I have to ride the bike back from Pasir Ris. Well, taking a cab would have been much easier, but where's the fun in that!

So without a seat, super low gearing, fat tires and a rather feminine paint job. I set off!

... A very short while later, I set down at a bus stop huffing and puffing... How do those guys in mountain bike races continue on when their seat posts have gave way? Mad!



At my second pit stop along Old Tampines Road... The afternoon sun is getting to me...

Along Ang Mo Kio Ave 5 the last stretch home... By now my wrists, ankle, arms, calves were all complaining... Hot and dripping with sweat...

Only on the next day, did I find out what kind of work out riding in the standing position gave me. The whole body was aching but I felt good, it was only in the army days where one would find your entire body aching! haha. Awesome ride. Now to recuperate and do some Trials!

Tags: Bike Trials, Commuting, commuting on a bike trials bike, commuting on a Trials Bike, cycling in singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment